Tuesday, January 24, 2017

SING review

Before I decided I needed a hiatus from the internet, I was offered the opportunity to attend a review screening of a new animated film called SING. The film opens this weekend, but the review screening was months ago, before Christmas, as the film had already hit cinema screens in the US.

I have to confess, it's not my cup of tea, but I knew just the person who would be keen to see it - a colleague of mine from the dayjob who not only is a huge Matthew McConaughey fan, but also has a daughter who is the perfect age for this movie. Having these tickets to hand, I thought she'd love to see the film in advance, and in return I'd get a review written (so that I didn't have to!)

So, without further ado, Maz's review of SING!

-





A failing theatre owner decides to put on a singing talent show in an attempt to save his business. Auditions are held and contestants are chosen. Each contestant has as many of their own problems as the theatre owner, Buster Moon. All the characters are anthropomorphic animals, which makes Sing fun. I mean, a singing snail is funny!  Dancing bunnies, punk rock porcupines and gangster gorillas are also in there. Coming together in the hope of winning cash to solve their personal problems these animals find friendship, love and support. What came across most was a passion for singing, showing how music positively affects different lives. The soundtrack is a wonderful eclectic mix including Queen and Stevie Wonder which works very well.

The direction of the film is also great; the fast movement through the city gives it a live action feel at times. The cast is fantastic with Matthew McConnaughey's optimistic koala, Buster, Reese Witherspoon's singing, housewife pig, Rosita and Seth McFarlane's crooner mouse, Mike. 

Both myself and my 12 year old enjoyed Sing throughout, it's not going to change the world but it's a lovely uplifting film which touches on many human issues such as shyness, family ties and heartbreak. If only X Factor showed us as much talent, passion and fun as these animals in the world of Sing.


No comments: